October 14, 2004

Trinity

I was invited to screen Flickering Blue at Trinity Western University this morning by Peg Peters, a recent acquaintance. Peg teaches a course at TWU called Christianity and Culture, and his angle is that movies influence, shape and define our culture more than any other thing. It's an interesting concept, and one that is self-evident when even the headlines of national newspapers share the front-page with thinly-veiled movie PR campaigns and/or Hollywood's opening-weekend box-office grosses.

The classroom was filled with about twenty-five earnest students - a captive audience - and the post-screening Q&A was unlike any I'd experienced after film festival screenings. The questions went beyond the garden variety 'What-inspired-you-to-write-this?' (though that question did arise) and forced me to articulate my personal artistic vision as it relates to my belief system. Heady stuff.

It's always encouraging for me as a screenwriter to meet film-fans who are socially and culturally engaged with an appetite for meaningful films with well-drawn characters and a sense of honesty and realism. Peg Peters and at least some of his students are fans of these kinds of films, the kinds of films I've set out to write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home