September 16, 2004

LA Wrap Up

The LA Shorts Fest ended on a rather sour note. The closing ceremonies and awards presentation was on Monday night. The high point of the festival had been the opening night ceremonies and after party to which all filmmakers were, understandably, granted free access. So we were looking forward to the wrap up, but as director Harper Philbin and I approached the ticket counter minutes before the finale was about to commence we were told we'd each have to pay $25US. Harper flashed his filmmaker badge at the hapless ticket person to no avail. Outside the theater we cornered one of the harried festival organizers -- who was already fielding protests from several other filmmakers, one who had come all the way from France -- who stood fast and proffered pitiful excuses about being a non-profit organization and various other nonsense. None of which got us into the show. The idea of paying to attend one's own awards ceremony was so outrageous we lit out of there leaving the festival behind in a wake of vitriol.

You might think that this all seems a little harsh, after all it's only twenty-five bucks, but this was the proverbial last straw. The entire festival was marred by inexcusable projection problems and opportunistic festival organizers who wouldn't lift a finger for the filmmakers they were supposedly hosting, choosing instead to make money off of us who had come from far and wide for the pleasure of seeing our films on the big screen in Hollywood. Case in point: If you attended a regular movie at the ArcLight Cinema you could park for free, if, however, you were there as a filmmaker you were given a 'Special Rate' on parking of $2.50. Again, a small thing that became irksome when combined with horrible projection, outlandish screening fees and complete absence of services of any kind for 'guest' filmmakers. I overheard one female documentary director saying: "I will make it my life's work to make sure no one ever enters this festival again!"

So, needless to say, we still don't know whether our film, Flickering Blue, won an award or not.

Having said all that, my week in Los Angeles was fabulous due to the many wonderful, generous people I had the honor of meeting and spending time with, the magnanimous Jimmy Karen foremost among them. He took good care of me, treated me to lunch in his favourite haunts, introduced me to all of his buddies and had me up to his house for drinks before taking me onto the Paramount lot as his guest for the advanced screening of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. He even drove me around town in his cherry-red '67 Mustang convertible.

Flickering Blue's director, and my friend, Harper Philbin is a former Angelino, and he and his old pal Bruce, a professional colourist from LA who lent his skills to our film, introduced me to sushi in a little out-of-the-way place that no tourist would ever find. Sushi is not something I'd dare to take a chance on, but I was placed in senior sushi chef Ike's skilled and trusted hands.

I also had a wonderful time reconnecting with my friend and fellow screenwriter, the lovely Karen Craig. Karen and I met nearly four years ago in Vancouver, and being with her reminded me of how important it is to stay connected with your colleagues. She has done very well for herself in the City of Angels, and her discipline, tenacity and commitment to her craft continue to inspire.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home