September 08, 2004

Opening Night

Los Angeles is truly a mind-boggling place. On the long drive from LAX to my hotel just off Sunset Boulevard my mind reeled continuously, trying to recollect celluloid memories as we drove past one film location and/or Hollywood landmark after another. Because of LA's notorious traffic I was late checking into my hotel. I ran most of the seven blocks down Hollywood Boulevard to ArcLight Cinemas on Sunset, with one eye on the Walk of Fame stars beneath my flying feet.

Bryan Singer was in attendance, with his entourage, to accept the Maverick Film Achievement Award, which was created by LA Shorts Fest to "...celebrate, honor and pay homage to those who generously contribute to and support the continual growth of the independent film movement."

Later, at a very-Hollywood after party on a patio with a waterfall hosted by Skyy Vodka, Harper Philbin and I had a chance to meet and speak with Bryan Singer. We had an 'in' because the star of our short film, James Karen, worked on one of Bryan's films, Apt Pupil, and had told us to say hello for him. Bryan immediately lit up and shared an on-location Jimmy Karen anecdote of his own. Evidently, the eighty-year-old gent makes an impression wherever he goes.

I also had the opportunity to meet Andrew McCarthy of Brat Pack fame. I asked him about his work on what is, in my humble opinion, one of the better Canadian films of the last ten years, New Waterford Girl. He called it, '...a strange little film.' I later learned that McCarthy is sick to death of being asked about, and pigeon-holed as the guy from, Pretty in Pink, and I'm glad I chose not to gush about how my wife Esther has made me watch all of his films from that era.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home