February 03, 2009

Stellet Licht

I finally got a chance to see Stellet Licht, which is, to my knowledge, the only motion picture in history to be filmed entirely in Plautdietsch. If I'm wrong about that I'd be more than happy to be corrected.

This film escaped my notice until it won the Jury Prize at Cannes in 2007, after which it was reviewed in the New York Times. I missed it when it screened in Vancouver a few months ago, but now it's out on DVD. I wish I had seen this one in the theatre though, because it is exquisitely rendered. From the languorous opening shot of the sun rising to the closing shot of the last morsel of light disappearing from the screen over the horizon at sunset. It is gorgeous.

Before I worked as a subtitler I always assumed that subtitles were the best available translation. Actually, I never gave subtitles much thought. And while my Plautdietsch tongue is a little rusty to say the least, my ear for it is good. There were times when what I was hearing and what I was reading didn't quite... stemme. (Note: Spelling of 'stemme' from the Pautdietsch Dictionary. I would've probably spelled it schtem.) Having said that, the film takes place on an unspecified Mennonite colony in Chihuahua, Mexico, and the dialect is closer to that spoken by E's family, who came from Paraguay, than my own.

The story itself is pretty straightforward and not all that incendiary, but I'm sure, as was the case with Miriam Toews' A Complicated Kindness, certain people will still find lots to take exception to. Basically a long-married man finds true love in a woman other than his wife (the incomparable Miriam Toews, by the way - who knew she was an actor?). This is not a mid-life crisis story. He's not looking to get laid by a younger more beautiful, funner woman. He's fallen in love with a woman whom he would've chosen over his wife had he met both of them at the same time. The other interesting departure from the usual plot is that he hides nothing from his wife, he's completely transparent about it. They suffer together.

The silence in this film speaks louder than the words, of which there are relatively few. There's no score and no music, other than the unaccompanied three-part harmony of a funereal hymn. Despite my Mennonite heritage, I don't necessarily relate to to the film or the setting, and I'd hesitate to recommend it, having precious few hours to see films these days myself. But I can safely say it's a film unlike any I've ever seen before. And worth two hours of my time. Which is more than I can say for many of the films I've seen in the last year or so.

16 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

Thanks for the earlier recommendation and this excellent review. It sounds like a special film.

February 03, 2009 11:41 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi Angelo. I've been dying to see this and missed it in Vancouver too. Where were you able to get it from? I'm so menno I won't even need the subtitles. *sigh*

February 09, 2009 10:45 PM  
Blogger Angelo said...

Good for you! I was tempted to try and make sense of it without the subtitles, and if I had more time I probably would've given it a shot.

I picked it up at Black Dog Video on Commercial Drive (there's one on Cambie, too). Videomatica would probably have it too.

February 10, 2009 8:19 AM  
Blogger Angelo said...

Jer: Yeah, it is special. It's a movie that shouldn't really exist. Which makes watching it seem almost like a mystical experience. The more I think about it, the more I like it. I'll probably see it again. Good luck trying to find it in your neck of the woods, though. I wonder if it might show up in the library system eventually?

February 10, 2009 8:31 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

It's weird, but our library system doesn't stock feature films -- tons of kids' dvds, documentaries, even dvd sets of entire seasons of certain tv shows...but not regular movies. Do they in Vancouver?

I wish they'd at least bring in stuff like Stellet Licht that is otherwise harder to find...maybe foreign films too. But I'll try anyway -- I might be the Okanagan Regional Library's most prolific user of their "Suggestion For Purchase" service.

February 10, 2009 8:38 AM  
Blogger Angelo said...

Yeah, the VPL has a decent selection of feature films. Hard to tell how they select what to put in the catalogue, seems pretty random for the most part. But Stellet Licht seems like the kind of film that might show up because it showcases a cultural sliver otherwise unrepresented in the media.

February 10, 2009 9:05 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I watched a trailer and an 11-minute clip, which make me want to see it even more.

The photography is stunning, with a certain unsettling intimacy. And the pacing! More like a few million amazing still photos slowly stitched together, with that narrow depth of field and shifting focus...and lingering on the scenes so much longer than we're used to seeing, often when the speaker has already wandered off-screen.

And I get goosebumps every time Miriam Toews' face appears. She's a vision...

February 10, 2009 11:34 AM  
Blogger Angelo said...

You've just described the viewing experience pretty accurately. Despite my reluctance to recommend this film, I have little doubt that you'd love it.

February 10, 2009 4:21 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Two years later, and I finally got a chance to see this film. Remarkable stuff, and I very much enjoyed it...although I also see why you were hesitant to recommend it. Weird like crazy. The excellent used bookstore in Penticton came through!

April 26, 2011 9:20 PM  
Blogger Angelo said...

Glad you finally got a chance to see it. I have to admit, after two years not a lot if it has stuck with me, except perhaps a few of the images... the long slow sunset at the end.

When it came out I was stunned to see that Miriam Toews was playing the lead - had no idea she was an actor and wondered how that came together. A couple of weeks ago I found the story behind the story in the Globe & Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/books/miriam-toews-its-a-mennonite-thing/article1976953/

April 27, 2011 1:32 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Fascinating, eh? The non-actor actors were jarring at times -- they don't behave like we expect people in films to behave -- yet their vulnerability and nervous glances were at times mesmerizing.

I was keen to finally see this in anticipation of Irma Voth, which I managed to get on hold at the library before the queue got too ridiculous. At the same time, I took out Swing Low, which rocked me.

April 27, 2011 1:56 PM  
Blogger Angelo said...

While I enjoyed A Complicated Kindness for its own sake, I didn't connect with it in any significant way. It didn't make a fan out of me, and I haven't been compelled to read anything else by MT.

April 27, 2011 2:22 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I'm surprised that it didn't resonate more with you. You've probably done a lot more reading of quality coming-of-age stories than I have, and have a richer base to compare to. I was blown away by it, maybe because I haven't been reading much good fiction...

I couldn't really get into the Flying Troutmans or her earlier books...so I wouldn't jump to recommend them. However, having seen this film now, and hearing about the new book, I suspect it could be pretty fascinating.

April 27, 2011 3:06 PM  
Blogger Angelo said...

I was a little surprised myself. I really expected it to resonnate, and I wanted it to. I tend to have trouble connecting with female authors for some reason.

April 27, 2011 3:20 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

And female protagonists, perhaps? Could have been an issue of high expectations too.

April 27, 2011 3:23 PM  
Blogger Angelo said...

Hmn... I hope not, I'm writing for a female protagonist right now. And yeah, high expectations, for sure.

April 27, 2011 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home