April 04, 2008

Lost in Translation

Consider this the launch of what will become a recurring feature here on Staring Out the Window. Lost in Translation will showcase particularly tricky or absurd lines culled directly from the Japanese-English translation scripts I work from. For the sake of discretion, (and respect for my Non-Disclosure Agreement), I won't reveal which show the line is from, or which character it is attributed to. Believe me, it wouldn't make much of a difference if you knew anyway.

So, without further ado...

'Aiee. The final day is passing like another day?
Gee with. Where did my princess go?'

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

HA haha...oh, I like this feature already.

April 04, 2008 1:18 PM  
Blogger Angelo said...

I thought you might.

I was watching Paprika the other day, and while it is a fabulous film a few of the subtitles were almost incomprehensible. A few lost-in-translation moments there, for sure. Made me feel a little better about coming across a line like this.

April 04, 2008 2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That quote is cool enough to inspire a de-lurkment...one of the "projects" I'm taking on involves putting eastern mystic koans together with similarly incomprehensible statements like, for example, Hemingway saying "my writing is nothing...my boxing is everything."

When viewed through the Hemingway lens -- (i.e. the volume of quasi-existential, booze soaked hip-shots he called philosophy)-- this Hentai type quote makes translucent sense. Not trying to gild the lily here...it truly works. Cheers -- Ryan

April 20, 2008 11:42 PM  
Blogger Angelo said...

Thanks for de-lurkifying, Ryan. Although now I'll forever be looking for the transcendent in these seemingly incomprehensible lines.

April 21, 2008 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll save you the effort: up = down, right = wrong, and yin =

... you decide.

Now just remember to invoice a 5% cut to yours truly on all future contracts you demolish with this mellow formula, and everybody's happy... Ryan

April 25, 2008 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home