February 18, 2008

Unwarranted Nostalgia

Okay, i have to admit, nostalgia compelled me to turn on the TV at nine o'clock last night for the return of Knight Rider. I could've cared less that KITT (Knight Industries Three Thousand instead of Two Thousand, clever huh?) had been upgraded from a Trans Am to a Mustang Shelby. I was more interested in seeing how David Hasselhoff would get shoe-horned into the new plot as Michael Knight while his vigilante burden fell on the shoulders of the younger, sexier, roguish "ex-Army Ranger and failed race-car driver", Mike Tracer! (Michael - Mike, clever huh?)

It started out okay with a tasteful modern rendition of the old theme song... and KITT taking off on his own to find the daughter of his murdered creator.

Well, I didn't last past the first commercial break. It was brutal. I don't even know who she was or how she fits into the plot, but one of the main characters was introduced surfing at dawn before she proceeds to strip off her wetsuit in an outdoor shower scene before returning to her bedroom and her one-night-stand lesbian lover to suit up for a day at the office as... an FBI agent. Get it? Young. Tuff. Sexy! No, I'm not making this shit up.

Cut to Mike Tracer, (our hero remember?), being woken up in the middle of the day by a couple of thuggish money collectors bashing down his door... oh, wait, there are two women in his bed! What a guy! He's young. Tuff. Sexy!

CLICK.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

Oh my. That sounds beyond terrible. Then again, I suppose the original was awful too...

February 18, 2008 1:28 PM  
Blogger Angelo said...

Most of those shows from the 80s didn't age very well, (thus the post's title). For me, back then, what drew me to the show was the gear... the car, the helicopter (Airwolf!) et al. I wonder if it's any different now? Did anyone tune in to see the Mustang Shelby KITT?

And it's not like I was expecting much from a made-for-tv Knight Rider movie, but those awful, two-dimensional characterizations just made my skin crawl.

February 19, 2008 9:57 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

It sounds so bad. I figured I could easily get a clip on YouTube, but just...didn't. But yeah, I know what you mean about the gear. Even with the Dukes, it was really all about the General Lee, wasn't it?

Airwolf! Man, there was a character worth tuning in for. You barely need a supporting cast or a plot when the subject of the show is an freakin' attack helicopter. And if your target market is 12-year-old boys. We just ate that shit up.

March 25, 2008 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home