May 04, 2010

Roger Ebert on 3-D

One of cinema's foremost critics weighs in on Hollywood's current headlong rush toward all things 3-D in a Newsweek article entitled Why I Hate 3-D (And You Should Too):

"3-D is a waste of a perfectly good dimension. Hollywood's current crazy stampede toward it is suicidal. It adds nothing essential to the moviegoing experience. For some, it is an annoying distraction. For others, it creates nausea and headaches. It is driven largely to sell expensive projection equipment and add a $5 to $7.50 surcharge on already expensive movie tickets. Its image is noticeably darker than standard 2-D. It is unsuitable for grown-up films of any seriousness. It limits the freedom of directors to make films as they choose. For moviegoers in the PG-13 and R ranges, it only rarely provides an experience worth paying a premium for."

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

Do you agree? I still haven't seen one in the modern era...

May 04, 2010 10:19 PM  
Blogger dee said...

I totally agree....nausea for me at it's best! But more importantly, I would like to know your opinion??

May 05, 2010 2:38 PM  
Blogger Angelo said...

I haven't seen Avatar on 3-D or otherwise (and that's really what started all this). But I can only imagine that it would be distracting. I mean, for one thing you're wearing one-size-fits-all plastic glasses, right? What engages me is a good story and interesting characters. Having said that, James Cameron is a great storyteller and Avatar actually seems like a plausibly good movie. Hard to argue with the top grossing film of all time, surcharge or no surcharge. When I do see it, it will probably be on DVD at home. In boring old 2-D.

I agree with most of what Ebert has to say about fake 3-D-ing 2-D films in the mad rush to jump on the bandwagon and how ultimately, at least in the short term, this craze will affect what kind of movies get made. Whether or not it's "suicidal", as Ebert suggests, only time will tell.

May 05, 2010 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home