August 21, 2006

Ready to Retire













When I was in Winnipeg last week I had a chance to sit down with my collaborators and screen a draft of our latest film, Retired. (Yes, we've come to our senses and returned to the traditional spelling. Not sure what we were thinking.) And the film looks fabulous. I mean, it's beautiful. Given the fact that the single location is a tire warehouse, you'd expect it to be drab and colourless with those awful overhead warehouse fluorescents. But it's visually very interesting. There's a depth of colour and texture and atmosphere that I hadn't anticipated.

Director Bevan Klassen came up with some interesting choices, (suggested, at least in part, by the evocative writing, of course). Cinematographer Steven Morrisson really stood on his head this time out, and his work will be done justice in glorious 35mm on the big screen come festival time.

Winnipeg's own Christine Fellows is hard at work on the score, which should be completed in the next couple of weeks. The cut I saw had temp music, bits and pieces, experiments in sound which hint at the final score to come. Haunting cello and her signature piano sound. I can't wait to hear what she comes up with. Should be wonderful.

I've spent a fair amount of time with our producer and director lamenting the state of narrative film represented in Canadian festivals in recent years, which seem to celebrate the edgy and audacious over those that actually endeavour to tell a story. It remains to be seen how this film will be received, but it is more edgy and dark than our last film. In a way. I'd call it a black comedy, if it wasn't so disturbing. It feels festival friendly.

Someone recently asked me if it this film was autobiographical. My knee-jerk reaction was to say, no, not this time. But then they asked me how I'd come up with the title, and I said, "Well, when I was fifteen I worked at the local service station, primarily in the tire shop. And my boss was this very affable man who had little catch-phrases for everything. He knew and loved his customers, kind of like this guy Doug in the film, and if he knew his customer needed new tires he'd ask them if they were ready to retire..."

I may have to adopt Hemingway's retort to a reporter who asked him if a particular story was autobiographical. He said, "Isn't everything?"

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

Oh, I'm so looking forward to seeing this one. Glad to hear that the results looked so satisfying to you.

When your novel emerges, I fully expect Jerry's Gulf to figure prominently as the hub connecting all storylines.

August 21, 2006 10:25 PM  
Blogger Angelo said...

Right, my novel...

August 22, 2006 7:59 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

You mean it isn't on the verge of being published? What do I have to do to prod you further?

: )

August 24, 2006 12:31 AM  
Blogger Garth said...

Very cool! Hope I get to see it as well!

Here's a sad factoid from our mutual growing up years - apparently Jerry's Gulf (which is now an Esso I believe) will be faced with the competition of the local Co-op store as they are planning on putting up a gas bowser. I normally wouldn't be so upset at Co-op's as I kind of like the idea of a community investing together in a business but if it puts a good guy like Jerry under...small town politics I guess?

August 26, 2006 12:44 PM  
Blogger dee said...

I'm super excited to see this film! Hopefully soon?

August 26, 2006 1:15 PM  
Blogger Angelo said...

Hey, Garth. Someone told me it was officially a Tirecraft franchise now, as in, if you call there, they answer, "Hello, Tirecraft." Which seems kind of too bad. In recent years most of my old touchstones have begun to alter irrevocably, or disappear altogether, and I tend to limit my visits to my folks' farm, which has only changed for the better, and Winnipeg, which doesn't seem to change at all.

Anyway.

If you want to see 'Retired' it's playing at the Winnipeg FilmExchange, February 28 to March 3, 2007. Exact date and time of the screening TBA.

See you there?

August 26, 2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger Angelo said...

Thanks for dropping by, dee. As soon as the film is locked and I get a final copy of the DVD, we'll hold a private screening at your place.

August 26, 2006 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home